Grain-free, gluten-free Madeleine cookies, with no shortage of sweet, and butter, and decadence!
ALMOND FLOUR MADELEINESCourse: Sweet TreatDifficulty: Moderate
If you are trying to avoid gluten, or refined flours, these are a rich - buttery delight that will leave you feeling satisfied. A decadent treat to enjoy with a cup of tea.
½ cup unsalted Butter (divided)
⅓ cup Coconut Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
½ cup Almond Flour (plus 1 Tbsp for the pan)
1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Cardamom
⅛ tsp Sea Salt
- Reserve 2 tsp from your ½ cup of Butter (you will use this later to grease your madeleine pan.)
- Start your oven preheating to 375º. Melt your Butter with your Coconut Sugar. Stir until the Sugar is dissolved. Stir in Vanilla. Set aside and let cool, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Mix (I like to use a whisk to get this mix fully incorporated) your Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Arrowroot, Baking Powder, Cardamom and Salt. These are your “dry” ingredients.
- Whisk your Egg. Once it is cool enough, slowly add to your Butter-Sugar-Vanilla mix to your beaten Egg. Go slow on this part, you don’t want to coddle (cook) your egg. These are your “wet” ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients into your dry. This batter needs to be chilled for 15min. I like to use a ziplock bag to pipe the batter into the madeleine mold, so I scrape out all my batter into a bag, seal it and pop it in the fridge for 15 or so minutes.
- While your batter is chilling, melt 2 tsp of reserved Butter. Brush each well of your madeleine mold with butter, then use your extra 1 Tbsp of Almond Flour to dust your mold.
- Once your batter has chilled, and gotten firmer, cut about ¼ inch off the lower corners off your bag of batter. Pipe your batter into your madeleine molds.
- Bake at 375º for 12 minutes. Remove from your oven, let your cookies set for about 2 minutes, then carefully remove from your madeleine pan (I use a small rubber spatula for this), and let cool. Enjoy!